Over the last two years, I have been offering monthly Roundtable discussions, to engage with owners and general managers of restoration construction companies to discuss the challenges they are facing as we emerge from the pandemic and get back to work.
Every single time the #1 problem and challenge the group wants to discuss is how to find good people.
Hiring good people has always been a challenge, but for the last two years it has become a much larger issue across the nation. Given that fact, plus the continuing stress caused by the lingering concerns of the pandemic, I am talking today about the importance of taking care of the employees we already have.
After coaching companies for over 25 years, it has been my experience almost 100% of the time that people are doing their best. The ability to help people step beyond their current results towards greater success is critically important for every company now more than ever. A business culture of continuous improvement for the purpose of empowering people is exactly what is wanted and needed right now, because…
Business cultures of continuous improvement have:
Can people improve, develop new skills, learn, grow? Absolutely. One of our challenges is not every person will need the same thing. Each person is unique in their skills, abilities, and challenges. That’s why to be really successful as a leader, you need to develop yourself as a good coach to build leaders in your business. That means you have to get over there and BE with that person and discover who they are, how they operate, and what is working and not working for them. This is the single most important thing you can do for growth and success in your business.
There are literally hundreds of coaching methods and books written on this, so here it is in an easy 1,2,3 simple step by step coaching process that can be used by anyone for anyone on your teams:
- Know and review the current results with your team member. Use a 3-month running average to get a good read on their results.
- Know and review their goals, what I call the finish line metrics for success. Make them challenging, as well as wanted and needed.
- Know, review, or create the action plan to help that person move from current results toward their finish line measures of success.
- Have this include the planning for having it exactly the way you BOTH want it. Be unreasonable.
- It is important your team member participates in the creation, that it is THEIR plan, they make it, own it, and drive it.
- They see it as doable, and can get excited in that accomplishment, and even inspired by it.
Coaching Questions to support someone to move from current results towards their goals or finish line metrics.
- What will it take to get to your target goal? like a plan, with milestones, in time?
- Where do you need coaching to take yourself to the next level? What are you good at? Not so good at?
- Where do you get stopped? Challenged?
That’s it, pretty simple right?
Ok try it out, and let me know how it is working for you. More information about GNA, Inc. Breakthrough Performance coaching can be found here:
My mission is to demonstrate that a business embracing practices of kindness, respect and empowerment will be very, very successful and profitable.
Ready for a new level of success in your business?
Working with hundreds of companies in over 8,000 meetings for 25 years has shown me if you take the right actions, you will get the best results. The GNA Breakthrough Performance Program helps you break free from the exhausting effort to run your business. We offer a step-by-step program to help you thrive and build the business you always wanted.
This 1 minute video demonstrates how to unleash the greatness in your business:
If you want to explore how you can have a new level of success in your company, schedule time with me today: https://calendly.com/greg-479/free-30-min-discovery